Monday, October 27, 2008

The VERY BEST Potato Rolls on Earth!

1 1/2 cups hot water (I just use tap water as hot as it comes out of my sink.)
1 heaping TBS of quick rise yeast (or one package quick rise yeast)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup potato flakes (plain with no butter seasoning)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs beaten
4 1/2 cups unbleached flour

Wisk all the ingredients together in a bowl except the flour. Stir in the flour. When you can't stir with a spoon anymore knead the dough. If the dough is too sticky, add flour to your kneading a handful at a time. Knead the dough until it isn't sticky but don't knead too much (so says Mom, rolls are not bread which needs a lot of kneading). Cover and let rise. I do this in a warm oven. I heat my oven to 150*F then turn it off. I put the metal bowl in and let rise about 30 minutes or until double. Take out and punch down dough. Knead a little. Roll out to about a little more than your little finger thickness. For my rolls I have 1/4 cup butter melted in my roll pan. I use a cup to cut out circles of dough which a swipe in the melted butter in the bottom of my pan and fold in half. Next time I make them I'll take a picture. Let the rolls rise in the pan for a few minutes.

Bake for 17 minutes at 375*F or until just a little golden brown.

This recipe can be used to make cinnamon rolls and scones too.

No comments: