Friday, January 21, 2011

Red Beans & Rice

I am so not a southern girl and I never grew up eating this. Recently I bought a cookbook that had a variation of this recipe. I changed it up a bit and it is delicious! We have to double this to feed my crew.

1/2 lb hot sausage (I like hot turkey sausage the best)
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 large bell pepper or 1 small one
1 stalk of celery finely chopped (I've used dried celery too)
3 cloves of garlic minced(or the equivilant in garlic powder, garlic in a jar or minced garlic)
2 1/2 cups water
1 15oz can kidney beans slightly drained
1 cup uncooked rice (really like Basmati, but regular white rice works too)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper

Brown sausage, with onions, garlic, green pepper and celery (if using dried celery hold off). I put some olive oil in to make sure the veggies don't stick. That is especially a problem if you use turkey sausage. Make sure the sausage is completely browned and the veggies are tender. Make sure you are doing this in a skillet big enough and that has a lid.

Drain off grease.

Add water, kidney beans, bay leaf, thyme, pepper (and dried celery if you used that). Mix well. Evenly sprinkle rice over the whole thing. Cover and cook over medium heat 15-20 until water is all absorbed.

Toss to mix everything well and serve hot. YUMMY!

No comments: